Tuesday, July 8, 2008

And so my adventure begins…Airports!

7/8/08 Vancouver, BC

I have spent so much of the last 10 years in and out of them; I feel as though I have become somewhat adept at the little rituals that one must perform to get past the three-headed dogs at the gate. They don’t vary much. Shoes off, metal off, show this documentation here, that documentation there, can’t take any hydration with you, it might be some sort of water bomb. I am glad they are trying to watch out for other people’s safety, but sometimes it seems just like a charade to keep reminding us of the reasons for their existence, and thus, their funding.

I feel blessed that I have been granted the opportunity to go on an amazing adventure. I am excited and a little nervous, as I have never made a solo journey overseas before. At 32 years of age, I certainly feel strong and capable of taking care of myself, but the unknown adventure hovers before me like an exotic beauty whose charms are irresistible and slightly dangerous. Mixed in with the excitement is a sadness of leaving who I love back in Portland, a unique loneliness that adds a certain saltiness to what otherwise would be the sweetest dish imaginable. Of course this homesickness will turn to fondness as the adventure gets more real. Besides, knowing that I share such an amazing love gives me strength and purpose.

So—as a warrior I push forward despite the fear of the unknown in order to live the adventure and bring back the Golden Fleece. Italy, and another leg of the Hero’s Journey that is my life awaits, and I willingly step into its embrace.

No comments: